2011-08-29

Grainy Manga Studio Pencils


Recently, a colleague (who I had introduced Manga Studio to) told me that a client insisted on a natural pencil look. He therefore used Alias Sketchbook Pro instead. Since I prefer the MS interface, I wondered if there are any work-arounds to satisfy such a client. 
     First, I tried to copy various old pencil sketches (traditional) using only Pattern Brushes. Surprisingly, the linework reminded me of those I was able to draw using Corel Painter.
Although the sketches above were the closest that I could get to a natural look, using any shape tool added extra steps because the rulers had to be set first. So, below, I further experimented by applying Random Dither Bitmap filters instead, some to the lines only and some to the tones too.



Conclusion:
A) It's very possible to simulate grainy pencils in MS.  B) Although the Pattern Brush gives the better results, the compromise for speed by using the Bitmap filter is instead the best work-around.



No comments:

Post a Comment